Wednesday 18 May 2011

Metropolis in the Metropolis

Pardon me a minute while I geek out. I just got back from seeing the recently restored version of Metropolis in Berlin in an East German era huge single screen theatre (the Kino International on Karl-Marx Allee). Title cards were in Deutsch but I could figure out the gist anyway as I kinda know the story:)
International
  The poster isn't bad but the film is great. There's a lot more footage showing the deeds of Joh Fredersen's assistant "The Thin Man". With this being a 35 mm print and on the big screen I was able to spot a few more details in some cityscapes. The eye composite was incredible, each eye was photographed with that unique close up light rig so each eye had a great circular reflection. There are STILL some scenes missing but this is far better than previous versions.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment