Monday 23 May 2011

This day had 48 hours

Berlin is big on techno music and clubs. That would be an understatement of colossal proportions. One of these clubs was converted out of a concrete industrial building giving it a distinct bunker like feel. Last night Club Maria had its final party to say goodbye to the end of an era. This bunker club is situated right on the banks of the Spree river so if you take a break from the pounding beat there's a terrace that looks out onto the river. Its another victim of developers buying up the land to put up hotels and condo's. A bit like False Creek and the downtown east side of Vancouver :(

More info here:
www.exberliner.com/articles/obituary-maria-am-ostbahnhof

Apparently the lease on the world was up on Saturday according to an American radio preacher so on Saturday night a group of us headed over there to dance to mind bending beats and techno insanity. This began my introduction to Berlin's club scene. Absolutely incredible, a warren of hallways and seating connecting 3 big stages with 3 DJ's all packed with the Berliner masses. We were at the main stage for most of the night, big room, massive speakers and amazing light rigs. Right in the middle of this room was a collection of small and large disco balls (about 10 I think) all spinning but no spotlight on them, so the affect was rather muted.

Not from the night but that's the Maria vibe.
From Peter's iphone. No where near as bright as that most of the time.
Peter's iphone and the trippy disco death star madness.
   It officially started about 23h (11PM) but we got there at 1h when things were starting to heat up. What followed was an hour of techno dance from one of the pioneers of Berlin techno, Thomas Fehlmann. Apparently in his 50's now and other than the lack of hair you'd never know it :) The next few blur together and weren't as good but then the local favourite, Modeselektor came up and it was infectious rapture personified. Time melted along with each thump of the beat, the room, jungle hot, muggy and smoky thanks to massive smoke machines pumping out giant clouds that enveloped you completely. One moment you're in a crowd and the next your floating in a vapor cloud, confetti descending, then disappearing like tears in the rain (heh, had to get that in there) the girl in front, now a stunning vaporous apparition, a misty silhouette amongst the strobe-lights. I was powered by beer that night, nothing else:) Sometime later I went outside to the terrace to cool down, get some fresh air and water, its at this point that I discover its 5 AM and the sun is up. Back in for another hour or two and then we made our way to the exit. Nothing like mind shattering beats to keep you awake and fully aware. I could've kept going but this party didn't officially end until 6pm Sunday afternoon and that seemed a bit much. As it is, my ears are ringing and calf's are talking dirty to me.

  So I got home about 8AM Sunday. My usual task for the last few weeks was to head over to Mauer park to visit the only guy selling bikes who doesn't look like a thief. I should have bought one a few weeks ago but I wasn't getting there early enough…. I got that covered this time! So headed out the door after a quick breakfast and wash to see what he had to offer. Made it to the bike guy and there it was, the bike. Perfect combination of age and extras like servo powered lights, rat trap, 14 gears and a rough enough look that hopefully won't attract the thieves. I have wheels!!

  So now I have a bike, its a sunny day and I have to get it home. Ride of course. So what followed was a very cautious ride meandering through Prenzlauerberg, Mitte and Kreuzberg. And as if on queue, just as I enter Mitte I'm stopped along with the traffic as there's a bike race on through the Berlin city streets. A few blocks later I pass under one of the arches of the above ground S-Bahn and I hear a familiar beat. It seems there's a techno club buried under one of the S-Bahn arches, the only clue is the music escaping through the ventilation system, cool city. I was navigating via memory, what felt right and metro station names and did quite well I think. Now I just have to figure out how the 4 way stop intersections work as I don't see many stop signs! Gotta watch for Tram tracks too. The women here will prove quite a distraction as well, keeping eyes on the road will be tricky. There was a stunning brunette that morning, unless that was another vaporous apparition...

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment